Check for common signs like shed snake skins, and know what to do to help prevent them gaining access to your property
Call us at 2430309
There are hundreds of snake species around the world but only a low percentage of these are venomous. However, given the shock, distress and panic that most of us would feel when encountering a snake, it is highly unlikely to identify whether the snake is venomous or not! Here are some important tips you can share with your family to protect them from nasty snakes bites:
The danger from snake bites and the toxicity of venom varies from species to species. The recommended first aid for snake bites will also vary according to species.
Treatment for a snake bite is defined according to whether the venom is cytotoxic, haemotoxic or neurotoxic. A wrong treatment will not only be of little or no help but could even be dangerous.
The venom from Adders and Vipers is Cytotoxic
The venom from Mambas and Cobras is Neurotoxic
The venom from Boomslangs and Vine snakes is Haemotoxic
If venom is spat into a person’s eyes, use any liquid available; preferably a neutral one such as water or milk — but anything at all will do, to flush out the eye.
Symptoms usually manifest soon after a snake bite, so observing the victim is extremely important.
If no symptoms have occurred within half an hour of the bite then indications would be that it was not a venomous snake, it failed to inject any venom or the snake was very old and had little or no venom left.
While there can be differences of opinion as to what we should do for snake bites the consensus of opinion as to what not to do is reasonably consistent, DO NOT:
The contents of this page are for information only. Rentokil Pest Control Brunei do not treat reptile injuries.
Talk to the experts - if you would like further advice about minimising the risk of snakes in your home and garden or would like to arrange a visit by a Rentokil surveyor, call us on (673) 243-0309.